Sunday, February 15, 2004

A busy Valentine's.

The party was just a blast. I thought so anyway.

We had 5 guys and 3 girls, including myself. I feel guilty for not having invited more girls. But hey, I'm not complaining about the odds!

I think cooking, as much as it was so much more work, was definitely a good idea. Ok, so it wasn't hard, we had pre-made spaghetti sauce and soup from a can. But a few of these guys (and a girl) were really apprehensive about cooking. I went around being like the mom delegating, bossing them around, giving them assignments and teaching them what to do. AS IF I know more about cooking then they do!

My first guest was Poh Ling and she and I (mostly her) cut the watermelon together - the first thing we did. We didn't know which way cut it. It was hillarious. Great start to cooking. loL!

The guys messed around with the fire in the barbeque pit - which we didn't use till the very end.

Dinner was so very big and extremely good. We started at about 8pm. It feels so good to enjoy a meal you had a part in preparing. I interrogated every single person at the table and got to know all of them a little better. I'd met them all before at the Single Adult Convention last year in August. It's the first time I've actually done anything with them (besides Lyanne) since.

I had the guys helping me with cleanup and doing the dishes.... ooh, it was nice. You guys have no idea how attractive that is! I wish I had thought to bring out my camera earlier.

We played quite a few games after dinner. It was like 9pm by then. In a couple more hours, we were all getting tired, (my voice is going to give tomorrow from yelling too hard in Pit) we got the desert out, turned the Karaoke on and things got really lively. We danced and yelled songs (ok, it wasn't as crazy as I'm making it sound, we were all worn out and still full from dinner) and made smores by the barbeque pit.

It was heart-wrenching to have to ask them to leave. Mom and Dad said midnight. I had let them stay for another 15-25 minutes too long. I suppose we can't use up ALL our fun times together in one night.

It looked like they had fun. I'm sure it beat stting at home and having a pity party alone. I still feel kind of guilty about making them work for their dinner, but I think it was a good experience for them.

But I found out that we have a couple of great singers and good cooks among us. And it's definitely something unique. People don't just get together to cook here. Especially not young singles.

I'm worried that I came off as bossy and domineering. I took charge of dinner, the games, the activities, the cleanup... even the conversation at dinner. Granted, it was my house and I was the host. But you know, even if it wasn't, I often become a self-appointed leader. I know that intimidates guys. Some people find that attractive, but still think that I'm out of their league. *sigh* SOMEBODY PROVE ME WRONG!

I hope this is just a start to a whole lot more activities together. Most of us are on the comittee for the CES council thing and there' s a meeting tomorrow evening. I'm actually really looking forward to seeing them again. Especially so soon - it's nice to follow up on good evenings.

This was definitely a good Valentine's.