Thursday, February 12, 2004

Psych 411: The mere exposure effect

The phenomenon that repeated exposure to novel stimuli increases liking of them.

In plain English: The more you're exposed to something, the more you'll like it. Familiarity breeds liking.

This is cool. Ever wonder why you don't look quite right in pictures?



Most of you would probably prefer the picture on the left. I however, prefer the picture on the right. The fact is, that they are exactly the same! Just flipped over.

The only difference is that the face on the left is how you see me, and the one on the right is what I see in the mirror everyday. We all prefer what we are used to seeing.

Application:

1) No wonder I eventually found Jared to be absolutely good looking.

2) I will always look gorgeous to me, as long as I continue to obses over myself in the mirror.

3) As much as I thought bell-bottoms were stupid before, fashion has got to me and now tight jeans just make you look funny.

4) I have a tendency to fall in love with the guy friends I spend alot of time with.

5) If I watch Buffy everyday, I will learn to love it.

Uh. Scratch that last one.