Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Pysch 411

Something came over me tonight and I dug up my psych textbook to look up a term I had forgotten. Then I thought - hey, why not post it here! I'm thinking maybe I could do this everyday. Then you and I will be learning psychology together!

So the term of the day?

Sensory adaptation
"Sensory adaptation occurs when receptors stop firing in the place of a long term stimulus like food smells, the feeling of clothes and frequent cocaine use." David G. Myers.

In English, this means that means that:

1) Even though my TV hisses and goes into loud fits when I turn it on, after a minute of watching Monk, my brain tunes it out and the sound disappears! That is until I think about it again.

2) I can't tell that my room smells like month-old laundry because my nose has gotten used to it. You however, will not be so lucky when you step inside.

3) If I don't think about the wedgie my butt-floss G-string is giving me (or if I wear it often enough) my butt nerves will adapt and I will be able to stop picking at it.

So if there's a sight, smell, sound, feeling even a taste that you just can't take, say "Thank goodness for sensory adaptation!"

Disclaimer: This blog has mentioned cocaine use in numbing sensory nerves but in no way has endorsed its usage for any purpose. Ergo, don't blame me if you become addicted.