Friday, April 22, 2005

A Cry for Help: The D word.

I just returned from nearly an hour of meeting with Armi today. It was what I would consider to be my first experience in therapy. It was easier than I thought it would be. Overall, I left feeling good.

The first time I heard the D word suggested was a week and a half ago by Dr. Bradford who teaches 3 of my classes - all the music ones. He wanted to know what was wrong.

First, he suggested a sleeping disorder. Then, depression.

Me, depressed?! I was scornful.

I'm not crying all the time. I have no reason to be sad, and I'm not! I don't cry any more than I usually do. Definitely not suicidal. My level of self-confidence hasn't decreased any. It's still easy to smile at my guests at the PCC and be the happy tourguide. Psh. Depressed. Whatever.

Hah. Denial, that's another D word.

2 days ago, I finally said the word myself in a conversation with Matthew. Armi had me take an assessment today. 10 points on the test means I'm at the halfway mark.

The fact is, whether or not I use depression as an excuse, things haven't been in its optimal state this semester. I finally had to admit that something was wrong. That is so much harder than it sounds.

My appetite has been really bad. I've been skipping way too many meals. My sleeping pattern has been out of whack. Don't want to go to bed, don't want to get up. Personal hygiene has become a chore. My room has been neglected. Laundry has been piling up. All I do is sit at my computer wasting time when I should be asleep and then sleeping when I should be awake. Hmmm. Sounds familiar. Oh, wait. Isn't that the same reason my parents grounded me from college?

What makes the difference though, has been my lack of motivation. It's not that I've been out having too much fun with my friends, neglecting what I need to be doing. It's that I haven't even wanted to go out with them much. I force myself to now and then, but mostly, I just want to stay in my room. Having labelled myself as an extrovert, that is very, very scary.

More than feeling depressed, I am concerned about my lack of productivity this semester. It's seriously affecting my school. I'm tired of this continuous under-achivement I am getting used to semester after semester. I LOVED my psychotherapy class. LOVED. I dropped it. What the heck?! Even the financial aid board is concerned and my internship to China thing may not be approved because of grades.

So I've finally decided that I'm going to DO something about it. That is the biggest problem with my life. I'm always thinking, never doing. I need less talk and more action. That was the first step. It was a big step for me to just admit that I need a little help. To leave my room to get something done? What an achievement.

There's a lot I want to change, but I know that I have to take baby steps. Just one load of laundry, at least, this week. I can do that. I was afraid I'd have to do something drastic like turn in my computer. I'm not ready for that kind of change. A matter of priorities, I guess. Maybe at some point, if it is important enough to me, and necessary, I will have to.

I'm frustrated at myself for not having dealt with all these tiny bad habits earlier. Now I feel this incredible pressure to just FIX everything. Becuase I want to get married soon. But I can't make it a happy home if I can't even control my own life. I'm afraid of the possibility of having to wait till I'm prepared. Patience is not something I've been good at. I want things, and I want it NOW. I guess this will be a good time to learn.

So, Mom and Dad, academic wise this semester will be somewhat of a failure. But I'm doing something about it now so that it won't happen again. And if it gets out of control, I will be the first one to step down and quit wasting money on an education I am not fully utilizing.

Oh, I learn a lot. I especially appreciated the therapist (who is currently working on her graduate degree) because of the class I took. I am observing and taking mental notes. It is kind of fun.

So I've blogged about it. It goes down in history... but this is my way of being honest with myself. Perhaps putting it on a public blog is uneccessarily truthful and open, but I feel that this is my way of intergrating this with reality. It's reassuring for me to know that I am not afraid of being looked at differently. For that, I have my friends to thank.

Here's to a brand new semester!

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

4/22/2005 06:27:00 PM

Hey Faye,

You know what? I went through the same thing when I was up in Provo. I didn't realize I was depressed until my whole world started to fall apart one lowly Tuesday (Devotional day in Provo-another D word) around 9:50-ish am. If you want to hear the story, I will SO tell you.

I had seen all those commercials about depression, naming off all the warning signs and thought to myself, "hey, I'm all those things but I'm not sad or wallowing in self-pity or anything like that so it can't be me."

Come to find out that I had never noticed it before because I was always so busy. But after those Tuesday events unfolded, I stopped enjoying being around people, my happy place stopped being my happy place (which happened to be the cafeteria...purely social reasons), so I stopped going, which meant I wasn't eating. I was down to a 1 bagel and 1 banana a day for 3 meals for almost a whole semester. I wasn't hungry.

I started spending more and more time at home in the quiet solitude of my room with my computer and luckily made a very valuable friend online. I couldn't sleep until 8am and I'd have to wake up at noon for my classes and continue the no sleep pattern. I was an RA at the time but it only ended up being a semester job.

I just wanted to say kudos for getting out there and finding your way out of it. You save yourself so much time and life.

In my darkness I found writing fan fiction and it pulled out all of the darkness that was in me and put it onto paper and slowly I started coming out of it with help and support from very close friends.

Funny enough, even though I felt so alone and I wanted to be that way, I have never felt stronger in my life the truth that Heavenly Father was there for me. Yeah, I've always heard it but I didn't *feel* it until I was alone and didn't want to talk to anyone else.

If you need anyone to hang out with or to just come over and blow on your belly or smell a fart, just email me. I'd say call but I don't have a phone. Any time, any day.


-Another Victim of "D"

Posted by Blogger Rare Insights 

4/22/2005 07:15:00 PM

Dear you,
I'm hoping that you get this real soon. Passed you by really quick tonight. the caff was near closing. Good that you're eating. I didn't fully read all that was in here but every once in a while, I like to know how you're doing. There was an article about "how would you feel if?" The picture of my new "kat." She's a beautiful guitar and one that hasn't gotten much attention because my focuses have been on other things.

I just wanted to tell you that I think you're fully thoughtful. Kinda felt awkward because that was probably put there by me. Just like you have friends to thank, please accept my thanksgiving for being really courteous to me. Truly nice people are truly nice blessings. I love the music you wrote.

richie

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous 

4/23/2005 01:46:00 AM

= damn.

Posted by Blogger Traveling Mattie 

4/23/2005 05:49:00 AM

lol Norm, that's what the fish said when he swam into a brick wall, right?

Posted by Blogger Fei 

4/23/2005 08:50:00 AM

..to my Dear daughter. Happiness in life is some times just a decision away and you have made the right decision. Now just continue to coordinate your body, mind and spirit to bring forth consistent action that will bring forth the joy that you seek which is within your potential and awaits you. Remember the words written for you from the hearts of your parents when you first left home found at http://fastlane.info/fei

We live today in a wonderful era where light and truth will permeate the earth with the help of technology, to reach a people whom the Lord said, ”Go and tell this people - Hear ye indeed, but they understood not; and see ye indeed, but they perceived not. Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes – lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and be converted and be healed” (2 Nephi 16:9,10)

I read your talk on Obedience and wished that I had come across it earlier so that I could have used it as my talk in my recent branch visit as District Councilor as I couldn’t have written it any better. Remember always, think big and act bold! We love you immensely!

Posted by Blogger Dad the KL city kid 

Post a Comment