Thursday, May 05, 2005

Back to my roots.

So the scholarship department has approved my internship for this summer! I literally threw on some clothes and ran all the way from my dorm room to the admin building as soon as I found out that the results were available.

I've jumped through ONE hoop. About 3 more to go. Flaming ones.

I saw the internship counsellor and he mentioned something briefly about needing to get my housing approved. He didn't bring that up when I went to see him again today, but we're starting from scratch, looking, first, for an internship that is closer to something I want to do. We're looking into organizations that deal with welfare, non-profit organizations. I expressed interest in working with the people there, especially the children and perhaps gain some exposure to some of the social issues that they have. He suggested that I could teach English to the less fortunate or something, which strikes me as strange because it has little to do with my major (can they really approve that?) but he said while I may not get credit for the academic value of the internship, I could get service credit. Hmmm. I don't know how that works, so I'll trust him. I'll go back to meet him on Monday, we'll get some phone numbers, make some phonecalls.

In the meantime, if anyone has any kind of contact in Beijing, a hook up would be nice. Whether it is with corporations or housing options, families that would like to house me in return for nanny-ing. Private English lessons. Anything will be helpful at this point.

So, I've got over the discouragement hump, I think. Just need to get things DONE at this point. *crosses fingers*

This will probably be the biggest thing I've ever accomplished.