Thursday, May 05, 2005

A life-changing education.

Classrooom entertainment for today:
"How long did it take Lehi and his family to complete the journey of 8 years?"
- Elder Parsons, Book of Mormon I
One of the things I like most about myself, or that I hope to always keep up anyway, is my love of learning. Now, I will be the first to say that I haven't completely been taking advantage of my college education and have done far too much slacking off to be a good student, but I find that I take a personal interest in the things that I learn in class. I'm constantly reading things that change the way I think for good, and I'm always trying to apply those things to every aspect of my life.

I'm taking an LDS perspectives and Psychology class this semester. It's not a very structured class, but basically we have a bunch of articles to read and discuss in class and have to write a adressing 5 of the 7 issues that we cover. Class time is mostly discussion, which is perfect, because I'd do it as a social activity anyway, except that I am among peers whose focus in education is similar to mine. We have a mature student in our class, Jeanine, and she is my favorite. She always has great questions, reflecting a personal interest in the subject matter. I mean, the woman reads the articles almost for fun. I find myself like that sometimes and I hope to keep that up and have a similar level of appreciation for school even without having to be a mature student.

Dr. Tucker was quite flattered today because both Jeanine and I told him that we found an article he had us read life-changing. He said he was excited because it doesn't happen much in a course. That took me by surprise. "Really? I thought it happens to everyone, because it happens to me ALL the time!"

Jeanine was telling us how she got so excited about the article we read that she probably told her husband more about it than he even cared. Haha.

2 things.

1) It reminded me of Dad. The subject matters that interest me are very similar to his. Along with that, I think I have also inherited some of his passion for learning. Dad was (and still is) always sharing with us the new concepts he recentely read about in some book. And for the next year or two, until he finds a new one to be passionate about, those books are to him, like Windex is to the greek father in the movie. It encompasses every aspect of his life, and he tries to teach it to his children in every learning situation possible.

2) I was very pleased to find that Matthew was already familiar with the concept of the article I had read, and had in fact, read something very similar by the same author and has a similar interest in such a topic. Of course, philosophy major, duh... but even when I did not need any proof that he is perfect for me, I found it. Life is wonderful.

Incidentally, the article is entitled "Hebrew versus Greek Thiking" and is by Faulconer, I believe. If you're interested in how language determines, shapes, or influence our thinking, and would like to be exposed to a whole new way of defining the world and the scriptures that we read, this article is for you.

In the meantime, please remind me come Saturday to be at the flag circle at 6.15pm so Dr. Tucker can pick me up to go babysit for him as he and his wife go to the Mother's Day dinner at their ward.

Free textbook, what can I say?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

5/06/2005 03:23:00 AM

Faulconer was my prof for a LSH Religion class I took at BYU. He's in the Philosophy Department (and was for a while Dean of Honors). He also posts frequently on Timesandseasons.org.

And he gave be a B+. My first college class, and already a blight. Maybe that's why I remember him. Of course, when I spoke with you I wasn't able to remember much of the substance of his arguments, just that I too had enjoyed them.

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous 

Post a Comment